IMPORTANT: Author of this plugin might not get alerted for any comments made here on this blog’s comments section. I request you all to directly raise issue on the github repository for this product here : https://github.com/ajayhada/Rich-VisualForce-Editor/issues
We all miss content assist support in Force.com IDE Visualforce editor. My previous attempt of using eclipse code templates was a patch to fill this gap. Good news now is, my colleague @AjayHada is creating a Visualforce editor, that will give decent code assistance support on typical “CTRL + SPACE” hit.
Meet @AjayHada !
Before we go any further, let me introduce you all with @AjayHada. He is a J2EE champ with a decade of experience in developing applications ranging from Supply chain management, ERP and Social Event management.
AjayHada’s experiences with Force.com IDE :-/
Ajay recently started learning and developing on Force.com platform. After a few days of flying in clouds, his major point of frustration was Force.com IDE, because of its well known limited capabilities. Being a Java guy by heart, he decided to write an Eclipse plugin to fill this long void, and he started an open source project for visualforce editor. After a few hours of research and RnD he was able to come up with an alpha version of this editor.
This editor is available on github here : https://github.com/ajayhada/Rich-VisualForce-Editor
Rich Visualforce Editor Plugin for Force.com IDE
This editor in its infant stage is supporting content assist for most commonly used visualforce tags.
How to launch ?
- Right click on any Visualforce page, to launch the popup menu.
- Select “Open With” menu item.
- In the sub menu select “Rich Visualforce Editor”.
Content assist in action !
CTRL + SPACE in action for tags
CTRL + SPACE assistance for tag specific attributes
Liked it, How to install ?
You can download this zip “rich.visual.force.editor.plugin.zip” from here. After download extract the zip and copy “VFEdit_xxxxx.jar” to “eclipse install folder/plugins”. Restart eclipse to reflect the changes.
Rich Visualforce Editor Roadmap & TODOs
Following are the features planned in next release. You are more than welcome, to fork and contribute to any of these.
- HTML5 tag support will be added to future versions
- Only applicable tags will be visible inside tags like apex:param will only be visible for applicable parent tags
- Display validation errors for apex and html tags
- Used attributes will be removed from the suggestion box.
- Suggestion box will also show some mark to show that tag is related to APEX, or HTML4, or HTML5
- Proper Tag, Attribute, Text, Comment color scheme
- Context sensitive help within IDE on pressing a hot key for visualforce tags.
- Support for “plugin update site” for all known pros.
- Support for dynamic update of tags and attributes, as per new Salesforce releases.
Help required from Force.com IDE team !
This plugin can be more awesome, if they can give us XSD/DTD for visualforce tags. This will help a lot in developing this editor in lesser time.
Your views and feedback !
Looking forward to those